22 outubro 2020

O testemunho da Marta (SPEA)

 

It is incredible that a year has passed by since the time I first landed in Lisbon. Many memories come from back then.

I know that I have done many things during my ESC, and still, I feel there is so much more of Lisbon, and Portugal, to see. I have been lucky enough to travel around Portugal with my friends, visiting Ruta Vicentina, the coast of Algarve, seeing beautiful sunsets holding a cold beer in Evoramonte, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Lagos, Portimão,... walking around the streets of Porto drinking wine, eating francesinha and enjoying the spectacular traditional food that Fernando and his wife cooked for us. But I cannot lie, I have cried too saying goodbye to those friends who made my ESC so special. Because this experience is not just about being abroad, it's also about the friendships you build and how you keep them.




 

One year already... For my surprise, Portugal made me fall in love with it, the sunsets, the food, the people, the beaches, and way more. In SPEA I have learnt so much, not only about birds and conservation, but also about how to be a professional, be patient and not to be way too perfectionist, handle my stress and grow as a person. They gave me the chance to create, organize and carry out my first activity in environmental education for children, a big step in my career. This last month was full of work. First in Douro Internacional following the power lines as in every season, then the Birdwatching Festival in Sagres following the migration of birds, and right after that, next day I was in Faro, doing fieldwork on Ilhas Barreira with the marine department. This time I ringed birds, trapped mice, counted cats on the island during the night (waking up at 04:30), looked for catprints on the sand, removed "chorão" (an invasive plant), counted seagulls and having the greatest time with the crew swimming in October after finishing a day of hard work. But during the days we camped on the island we weren't alone, senhor Alves, a fisherman who lives on Ilha Deserta, cooked for us fish and meat in his ember, everything was delicious. Part of the highlight during this trip was making new friends and having long and deep talks meanwhile eating breakfast beholding the sunrise.


Now this experience has come to an end, even though I don't have to say goodbye to my friends here because I will stay longer, I have to part from SPEA, where they treated me in the best way, and this will be very hard for me...

 



I would never trade the year that I've been here for nothing in the world.

 

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário