27 março 2022

O testemunho final do Albert (JFL - S. Vicente)



Hello Everyone



 

This year in Lisbon has been a very special year for me. It is the first time in my life that I have lived outside my own country for a year and that brings me a lot of things. It is also the first time that I have worked with children for such a long period of time, I have only worked in the summer season so far.







My experience of volunteering was a bit more difficult at the beginning because of the language barrier. The vast majority of volunteers work in English, but in my case, everything was in Portuguese... so I had no other choice than learning Portuguese, and I am grateful for that. 








From the first day, despite not speaking my language (although Portuguese is very close to Spanish), my colleagues, especially my tutor Paula, made an effort to make themselves understood and helped me a lot to improve my Portuguese. 




My activities have been changing throughout the volunteering, I started as a monitor to support my co-workers, we have done Spanish, logic, sports and gardening activities; I have also helped in the food bank and I have collaborated with other organizations to do activities in the school, But not everything has been about school. The city of Lisbon is an incredible city, I already knew it before and I really wanted to spend some time of my life here. It is a city with many contrasts, on the one hand, you have the historical part with the buildings, the streets, the viewpoints, the squares, the museums, the parks and the markets.







on the other hand, you have the international life of Lisbon: the concerts, the parties and all the events that are taking place. Lisbon is a lively city, every day you can find something to do. In the city center you can find people from all over the world; in the surroundings there are more Portuguese and natives of the former colonies.






Outside Lisbon, you find a lot of beaches and nature: Sintra, Caparica, Setúbal, Cascais,  I have been so lucky to get to know the region very well. The whole area is great for nature walks and surfing. Having a car has allowed me to visit many places: Ericeira, Peniche, Santarem, Coimbra, Costa Nova, Aveiro, Porto, Guimaraes, Braga, Faro, Tavira, ... Although I still have many things to know about Portugal, for example, the national park of Geres, everyone has told me about it







And last but not least, from this year here, I take a lot of people with me. People who have helped me without asking for anything in return. People who have offered me great opportunities. People who have given me good conversations. People who have made my experience here a wonderful one.

 Thank you very much.

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário