27 maio 2019

O testimunho da Anna

They say that in order to grow as a person it is necessary to get out of your comfort zone. You’ll feel uncomfortable, uncertain and scared at first but once you have taken the leap of faith, you’ll be grateful.


In the beginning of 2019 I realised that my 9-to-5 job wasn’t fulfilling me. I longed for something new and different, a complete change of environment. I found myself scrolling the European Solidarity Corps database looking for a volunteering project that would spark interest in me. A project in Lisbon came up. A city in a country I had never been to but was curious to discover.

Everything about Portugal seems to be a contrast to Estonia – it has mountains, lots of sun, the ocean, and a relaxed vibe. I was convinced it was the right match for me.  I applied and a few days later I was invited for an interview.  It was a success, I was chosen. I remember that my first reaction was a big loud YES!! However, shortly followed by OH NO, What have I got myself into? How will I get all ready for my departure in 5 days? Did I even choose the right project? I’ve never worked with children before; maybe they’ll all hate me? What if I cannot manage my finances well enough? What if I do not connect with any of the people there? Am I too old for that?



There were a lot of ‘What if’s.  All in all it seemed to be a better idea to hide under the covers and not go. Luckily I realised pretty quickly it was just anxiety about leaving my ordinary circumstances.  By the next morning I had clamed down. It was time to get busy with ä all the arrangements for my departure. Last days  in Estonia went by really fast.


At Lisbon Airport I met Agnes, another volunteer from Estonia. She was a wonderful help for me during the first days in the city. Also, it’s great to have someone in the flat speaking your native language. So far I’m having a great experience. My fears have not been justified. I get great support from my sending and coordinating organisations, I like my work, my flatmates and other volunteers are all kind, fun and supportive people, my living conditions are great, and the city of Lisbon is just love at first sight!  But what I am most happy about is having taken the chance to get out of the comfort zone and dive into the unknown.  Until further updates.





0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário