06 março 2024

O testemunho final da Katarina (Spin)


Time really flies. I am still processing the fact that I’ve spent almost a year of my life in Lisbon.

As I came back to my hometown, I started remembering how I thought of Lisbon as some city far away and impossible for me to reach. Now I think of it as my second home. 

I am existing in a different timeline now, far away from buildings with colorful tiles, away from pasteis de nata, away from sandy beaches and big waves, and the train that would take me there now is filled with some other people. It’s fine. I know I am going to be back.

The year behind me brought a lot of amazing things: experiences, connections, adventures, learning about others, learning about self, lessons, laughter, love…

Things took a positive turn since my number 2 testimony- mostly reading my flat in Lisbon. New volunteers arrived to casa Anjos, and they finally made me feel like I am a part of an ESC project. Coming from different countries, they brought their stories, their cheerful vibes and their exciting days into our home, and I have come to appreciate their company and sharing my space with them. 

I was also skeptical about sharing my room with someone, but my fellow roomie and I get used to each other and we grew closer. We shared our stories, funny and not so funny moments, traditional and improvised snacks, dreams, hopes, goals for the future and much more. 

Towards the end of my stay, we had a swap market at Spin, which I absolutely loved, but  didn’t help at all with my packing to go home, because instead of gifting stuff away and making my luggage smaller, I found so many cool things and I had to make an extra room for them. But I am a person who gets attached to things easily, so I am happy that now I have some stuff at home that will remind me of my time as an ESC volunteer.

As the time of my departure was approaching, I did my best to visit places I loved in Lisbon and around, so more than once I went to the beach just to chill and look at the waves. I also visited some places I was postponing, foolishly believing that ‘there’s enough time’. In the end, I didn’t even visit everything that was on my list, but I don’t mind - I always say that there should be something left for the next time. These trips also made me realize how much I actually grew and changed - I didn't used to go to places on my own and spend time by myself. Now that is a common thing like any other to me, and I can say that this ESC adventure I took pushed me to do some things I wouldn't do before, and for that, I am forever grateful.

In my last meeting, as I was reflecting on things I have achieved, I said: This was maybe not the experience that I wanted, but it was the one I needed. And I stand by it. So if anyone thinks about applying for ESC cares for my advice - It can never be absolutely the same as you imagine, and it shouldn't, so don't overthink it, just apply to the first program that matches your vibe, and by the end you'll realize that every challenge you encountered was worth it.

Shout out to Spin employees who always wanted to help and who always made me feel appreciated and welcome, I am thankful for giving me the opportunity to meet you all and have this experience in the first places, because without you it wouldn't be possible for me to live in Lisbon and have it made my second home.

I don't like saying goodbyes. As the day of my departure was approaching, people asked me how do I feel, am I sad, am I going to miss being there and so on...

Yes, I miss being there, I miss being around people and places. But my story is different, because I took the best of Lisbon with me, and I know I am going to be back, sooner or later.

Até a próxima!

K.


0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário