15 outubro 2024

O testemunho final do Simone (JFC - Culture)


It’s time to sum things up. I have been asked to summarize in a short text what my year in Lisbon has been like. Many people close to me may take pride in saying “It’s thanks to me or to us that he had a good experience”; First, I want to clarify, as I briefly mentioned, that yes, I had a good experience, but a big thanks goes to my roommates and the friends I’ve made here. I certainly don’t want to undermine anyone; the Spin association played a significant role in all of this, especially in making it possible for me to be here, and the staff at the Natalia Correia library for giving me the freedom to act and welcoming me like a grandson.


Did I give my best? Could I have done more? Perhaps yes. I could have been more involved in the life of the library, but deep down, I feel I listened to those who wanted to talk to me, tell me, or explain parts of Portuguese culture and the workings of the library. I spent 11 months in the Spin project, working 35 hours a week, Monday to Friday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with a one-hour break. A very high number of hours compared to other international volunteers, or if based on ESC rules, which set a minimum of 25 hours per week, including 5 hours of learning the local language. In these 35 hours, I also included 5 hours where I tried to teach or spark an interest in Portuguese among my fellow volunteers, even though I’m no expert but have a good foundation due to my background. All this to say, yes, Simone, you did your part.



What motivated me to keep going, even though there were aspects of the library that could have led to boredom or even stagnation, issues that I am not in a position to declare? After a slight nod to my sense of duty, I want to respond by mentioning the books and the search for indirect personal growth. After the first week, I knew what positives and negatives would come from working in that library. I would have the opportunity to immerse myself deeply in the Portuguese language, with conversations about traditions, food, events, and the geographical morphology of Portugal. Feeling that sense of inclusion was a great achievement for me. Being able to return home, knowing I didn’t feel like a tourist or an outsider, is a wonderful feeling.



Books, on the other hand, were part of a very important personal development and growth. Every day I had the choice between an art book, a comic, a newspaper, a book in Portuguese, or children’s classics, to name just a few options. The continuous practice and training in reading surely helped me pass the admission interview for the master’s program I recently took.
Spin had the task of mediating between volunteers, trying to meet their needs, and ensuring that relations between the various parties were as positive and efficient as possible. Personally, I have nothing to complain about. Catarina, first and foremost, and then the other workers at the association, were very welcoming and supportive of me, with consistently positive and enjoyable exchanges. The initial “gratitude”! activity was very nice, and I recommend, for what it’s repeating it in the future. Perhaps, after that first activity, the interaction with the association
lessened; it could have been more extensive, and certain situations with housing and the
volunteers could have been handled better, but nothing too dramatic. I hope it can survive and
continue to grow; organizations like this benefit society.



To the staff at the Natalia Correia library, I send a big hug. Sonia, Maria José, Prazer, Rosario, and Isaura—amazing women. They argue among themselves but, in the end, they care about each other. Their work is not easy, nor is the environment in which they carry it out. Calling them kind is an understatement; they were always good to me and treated me wonderfully this year. Every day, conversation was at the core—an 8-hour school of language and culture. Little by little, I became more involved in the dynamics. They always made room for my needs and endured my difficulties and demands. Thank you. In return, I had the pleasure of making a nice coffee after lunch to enhance our camaraderie. A big thank you also goes to the cooks at the elementary school in the Padre Cruz neighborhood—you can’t imagine how much you lightened my life, my wallet, and improved my nutrition.



Lastly, to my friends. This summary seems like the final part of a thesis acknowledgment, but in
some way, it is. A big thank you. Waking up in the morning and going to bed at night with your
company made life easier. Moments of passive learning with everyone’s thoughts and cultural
activities stimulating one another. These moments don’t end here like something disposable; they endure over time and remain imprinted in everyone’s memory. The dedication will develop further personally in the future.



It’s been a wonderful, almost full year.
Saúde,
Simone


0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário