20 abril 2021

O testemunho da Clara No. 2 (SPEAK)

Lockdown in Lisbon – not bad after all. 

When people tell you that time flies, you should believe them. I arrived in November and, in a few days, I will start my sixth month here in Portugal.

These last months have been intense. Despite the lockdown and the strict restrictions, I tried to keep a positive attitude and to get the best of this experience. I had the chance to spend more time with my flatmates and to strengthen our bonds. We managed to create a very good environment which is fundamental when you share a flat (especially if you spend most of your time at home). We developed our cooking skills, started training together, and enjoyed the sun on our ‘patio’.



Besides that, I continued working daily within the project framework. After the first months at SPEAK, I decided to become a BUDDY and to start sharing Italian leading a language group. This was quite a challenge, since I have never taught my mother tongue language and, above all, I have never led an online language group. Challenging myself was fun. I enjoyed my time with participants, and I believe that, later, I will have the chance to meet them in person as well. Moreover, being a BUDDY made me realize even better the mission of SPEAK, why it exists and why its work is so fundamental for newcomers and migrants. 


I am very satisfied with my project. I like the fact that I have been involved in every activity of my department and that I feel like a member of the team. SPEAK central team is very active and always proposing interesting activities. These are very useful not only for the workflow and the objectives of the organization. They also aim to the development of personal skills. Some highlights: a training on design thinking and creativity and a diversity journey, where to reflect on topics such as integration and inclusion. I am looking forward to the upcoming months and tasks. 


Finally, after five months of work, I decided to take a break and to have a “taste of summer”. Indeed, last week I decided to leave the capital and reach the south of Portugal – the well-known ‘Algarve’. Together with some other volunteers, we decided to join a ‘work away’ project. I am very grateful for these days. Spending some time detached from the screen, doing manual works, connected with nature and living the communitarian life for a week was a great relief. I loved paintings walls while singing and getting to know better the other volunteers. A good experience that I will certainly repeat later on in my life.




Full of positive and good energy I am now back in the city, ready for the ‘desconfinamento’ and ready to experience Lisbon.

The small takeaway of these months: Be patient, enjoy the little things and carpe diem

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário