19 junho 2018

My first two weeks as EVS volunteer in Lisbon


You know this feeling that you are lost and no doors open in front of you. Well, I was in this situation just after my final exams in France, I didn’t know what I wanted to do: take a gap year ok, but what to do during this free time? I applied for an EVS volunteering because I wanted to go abroad, to be part of a concrete project and to learn more about others and myself. I’m just 20 years old so I need this kind of experience which allows you to evolve. I remember I was with friends when I received a mail from Spin telling me I was choose for this EVS volunteering, and I screamed because I was so happy. I know I’m very lucky to have been chosen.

   
I arrived in Lisbon two weeks later. Two of my flatmates came to pick me up at the airport the 1st of June. I had just put down my suitcases as we went out to the streets to party. In fact, I arrived at the right time because it’s Santos Populares now, the biggest celebration in Lisbon. During all the month of June, every night it’s party in all Lisbon. This situation permitted me to discover a Lisbon very festive, colourful, with a smell of sardines in all the streets. Yes, sardines, but do not stop at the visual, it’s very good with bread. This festive environment allowed me also to meet other volunteers of my EVS project. I met wonderful people from so many different countries. We all speak in English but it’s very interesting to discover the culture of everyone, to share our own life experiences.
     

My roommate was also a big support for me during the two last weeks to discover the city and surroundings. Lisbon is a city where you can try a lot of things whether in terms of sports, museums, concerts, beautiful beaches. I have already tried kick-boxing, surf, yoga, zouk dance. Yes, I love to try a lot of things 😊 And for me, discovering a culture is first and foremost about cooking. I’m French but I agree to say that Lisbon is excellent for its pastries. My goal is to try almost every specialities, it makes really a lot but I have 9 months !!

I began to work in Vicentix one week after my arrival. It’s a recreation center after school. I was impressed because they do so various activities with kids. Not only sports, but also cooking, coding, activities with the elderly. I felt immediately at ease in this environment, surrounded by young children full of energy and joy. I need to improve my portuguese to be able to talk with children, so this experience permits me to improve two languages in the same time!

   
I feel the 9 next months will be very intense, whether in Vicentix or in my everyday life. When I arrived, the weather was a bit too much windy and cold but now the sun is pointing the tip of his nose. I continue to discover this city so alive, where people are of an incredible sweetness (like pastries 😉).  I know this is just the beginning of my adventure but after these two crazy weeks, I know I will go out transformed from this experience.

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário